Deciding to get a breast augmentation is the start of an exciting change towards feeling better about yourself.
The great thing about today’s options is that you can get the exact look you want — you could go for something bold or something natural. No matter what you prefer, there’s an option that will work for you.
In this guide, we’ll help you understand how to get the best breast implants in Birmingham, AL.
What to Think About When You Choose Your Breast Implants
Selecting the perfect implants for your breast augmentation is not always straightforward. It’s a highly personal process about understanding what’s best for you and your body.
Here are the various factors you’ll need to consider before you make your choice.
Breast implants are distinguished primarily by their filling:
- Saline Implants: These are filled with sterile salt water solution, similar to the fluid constituting our bodies. They have a firmer feel and require smaller incisions for insertion. Also, in case of a rupture, the body can safely absorb the saline.
- Silicone Gel Implants: These implants are filled with a silicone gel that mimics the feel of natural breast tissue, offering a more natural look. Although they require larger incisions for insertion, silicone gel implants provide a more natural feel compared to saline implants.
- Highly Cohesive Silicone “Gummy Bear” Implants: Known for their ability to maintain their shape even when ruptured due to the strongly cohesive gel, these implants provide a slightly firmer feel than the traditional silicone gel implants. They’re available in both round and shaped options.
Breast implants also come in different shapes to cater to various aesthetic preferences:
- Round Implants: Commonly made with saline or silicone gel, round implants provide a fuller appearance at the upper pole of the breasts, making them a suitable choice for those desiring more noticeable augmentation.
- Shaped Implants: Predominantly available in the “Gummy Bear” type, shaped implants lend a gracefully sloping look to the breasts, offering a subtler augmentation.
This refers to how much the implants project from the body in profile view. You can select from low to moderate, or high-profile implants based on your needs and existing proportions.
Moderate profile implants can provide the desired size increase without appearing too broad, especially for those with more petite frames.
Breast implant sizes can vary greatly, usually falling within a range of 150cc to 800cc or sometimes even larger. Each person’s aesthetic needs and goals are unique, therefore, the size of the implants will be custom-selected.
In some cases, each breast might require a different-sized implant to get the best symmetry. The optimal size for you will be based on your current breast size, the look you want, as well as professional guidance from your cosmetic surgeon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the lifespan of breast implants?
Breast implants typically last between 10 and 20 years, although some can last longer.
It is common for women to get implant replacement or removal at some point in their lives due to factors such as rupturing, capsular contracture, or bottoming out.
Which implant type has a lower risk of complications?
Both saline and silicone implants are generally considered safe. However, in the case of rupturing or leaking, saline is considered to have less medical risk because the salt solution can be safely reabsorbed into the body.
Consult with your surgeon to discuss the specific risks associated with each implant type.
Can I breastfeed with breast implants?
Yes, it is possible to breastfeed after breast augmentation. Both saline and silicone implants are considered safe for breastfeeding mothers. Nonetheless, discuss your plans for future breastfeeding with your surgeon during the consultation.
How long is the recovery period after breast augmentation?
The recovery time after breast augmentation depends on a person’s body, health history, and the type of implant used. Generally, most patients can return to work within one to two weeks and resume regular activities after four to six weeks.
How do I choose the right surgeon for my breast augmentation?
It is essential to select a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast augmentation. Research and review surgeons in your area, schedule consultations to discuss your goals, and ask any questions you may have.
Will implants correct sagging breasts?
While implants can provide some lift, a breast lift surgery might be more suitable for severe sagging (ptosis). Some patients opt for a combined breast augmentation and lift.
How often will I need to get my breast implants checked?
Surgeons generally recommend a check-up every few years. However, if you notice any changes or discomfort, you should contact your surgeon immediately.